Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre village of Vernazza ... Italy's Fiat-free riviera. Our home base was in the village of Monterosso, seen along the coast in the distance.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Tramp Abroad

It's time to give birth to this baby.  My wife Marian compared my preparing for this trip to a 2-year pregnancy.  I first started planning for this trip waaaaay back in 2008 in hopes of taking it in Spring 2009, but we all know what happened.  My heart operation in January 2009 put an end to that real quick.  Since then it's been a long road of cardiac rehab, marathon training, trip planning and everything in-between.  With that have been highs and lows, grumpy spells (understatement), easy days and hard days, etc. etc. etc.  Days I didn't want to put on my running shoes and other days I couldn't wait to run.  My buddy Mark Schroeder (who qualified for the Boston Marathon and is running it this year) said I had straining days instead of training days...he is absolutely correct.  Hence the comparison with a loooooong pregnancy.  Now the "baby" is about to be born...HOORAY!

With everything that has happened over the past year or so, It's hard to believe that this trip is actually going to happen.  Running/jogging/walking (???) the Rome, Paris and Madrid marathons will be an amazing experience...I really miss the excitement of the marathon crowd and attending the marathon expos.  The international flare will make it that more exciting.  Adding to all this is the excitement of seeing and running amongst the ancient ruins of Europe.  Fortunately, my traveling buddy Bob and I have plugged in relaxing time between the running events.  Spending Easter Week and weekend in Cinque Terre, Italy will be an awesome adventure.  Traveling along Italy's Almalfi Coast will provide us amazing vistas of a rugged coastline.  We've already made some friends in Venice and Florence, as my hotel contacts there have been corresponding with us about our adventures.  Roby in Venice is especially interested because he is a marathoner as well.  My high school buddy Peter Pasquariello (how's that for an Italian last name) who attended veterinary school in Italy has a friend in the Venice area who is willing to show us around.  How strange, there's hole-in-the-wall gelato store in Venice named Alaska that we'll be visiting.  In Paris, Bob and I will be joined by our friends Bill Parady and his wife Salome, along with some of their friends.  We plan to see the major Parisian sites but I'm really looking forward to taking the train to the Normandy Coast to visit the D-Day sites and surrounding area.  My time in Spain will be really different from the rest of the trip because I'll be on my own for my visit to Barcelona and Valencia.  However, like for Paris and Rome, I'll  be associated with an organized marathon tour, and after the marathon, I'll be staying with a family member, Lorenzo Sanchez.  I know I'll be ready to head home by then (understatement).

I expect that my psyche will be changed by this trip...in what way, I don't know.  Will I be totally burned out on international travel?  Will I ever want to run again?  Many more questions will surface I know.  I do know, however, that my efforts to stay in shape after my return will focus on cross and strength training.  I plan to cut way back on distance running, learn how to lap swim, and bike ride more...all this in hopes of participating in a triathlon someday.

It's time to close out this entry and do some final packing, as I head to the airport at midnight to catch a 2:30 am flight to Jersey. I'll spend less than two days there to relax at my Mom's home in Toms River and prepare for my Wednesday night departure to Rome.  After arriving in Rome on Thursday at 7:30 am, I'll attempt to find Bob at the airport and the Trampathon Abroad will officially begin!  I plan to update my FaceBook page regularly and when WiFi and/or an internet cafe is available, I'll update my blog...so stay tuned!

Take care, God Bless and all you runners out there, Train hard...Run far!

2 comments:

Bill said...

Have a great trip Wayno! See you in Paris.

mjohnson said...

We are thrilled and so happy for you! After all that preparation . . . have a great trip and enjoy the marathons. We can't wait to hear about your travels and see the pictures. Wishing you the very best - Melissa & Bob (from OH)