Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre village of Vernazza ... Italy's Fiat-free riviera. Our home base was in the village of Monterosso, seen along the coast in the distance.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

A lot has happened and will happen...


Jimmy didn't make it...a few months after my February 2011 post, Jimmy took his last swing at life.  Since then, I haven't been motivated to keep up my blog or share any news about what's been going on since then...but it's time.  I remember getting the call from Jimmy's wife Shari, telling me that Jimmy wasn't doing well, Hospice was about to arrive, and I ought to come right away...which I did.  When I arrived, Jimmy's breathing was strained but he was comfortably sitting in his favorite chair with his basset hound doggies Gunter and Orville by his side.  Jimmy recognized me, we hugged hello, but he was too weak to verbally greet me...it was then that I realized the seriousness of the situation.  Annie from Hospice arrived soon thereafter, monitored Jimmy's vitals and then suggested we move Jimmy to his bed, which we did.  Prior to my arrival, the Fuhrer's best friends Jasper and Louise arrived to support Shari and her sister who had arrived days before.  Within hours, Jimmy passed.  His final breaths were labored and shallow.  I recall encouraging Jimmy to take deeper breaths and hang on, but his breaths over time became more and more shallow. He, even while being unconscious, fought on; however, ultimately all of us encouraged Jimmy to let go and find peace, which he finally did.  It's his fighting spirit that, when I'm feeling unmotivated, spurs me on.
 
Later in the summer, I put together a memorial golf outing in his honor at his favorite golf course (Eagleglen), which was heavily attended by all his golf buddies.  It was a lot of fun having his buddies share stories, especially about Jimmy's TERRIBLE sand trap play.  The gathering ended when we all golf carted to the #16 Hole where Jimmy had requested that his ashes be dispersed in the wood lot next to the tee box...it was there that we all took turns spreading his ashes in the woods as well as all around the #15 and #16 greens (on both holes he scored an eagle), their sand traps and cups. 

Whenever we now play Eagleglen, we hoist at cheer on the #15 and #16 greens in Jimmy's honor...he'd like that!


No comments: