Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre village of Vernazza ... Italy's Fiat-free riviera. Our home base was in the village of Monterosso, seen along the coast in the distance.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

From Vienna to Boston

The last of the three European marathons I had hoped to run this spring occurred yesterday...nearly 20,000 runners participated in the running events surrounding the Vienna Marathon. Amazingly, I was able to watch the start of the marathon on the site's web page...(10 pm AK Time, 9 am Vienna time). It was a beautiful day for a marathon but somewhat warm (around 70 degrees). Oh how I wish I could have been there...maybe in 2010. Checking out the Marathon Tours web site, I learned that in 2010 the Rome Marathon will be March 21 and the Paris Marathon will be three weeks later on April 11. I'm guessing that Vienna's will be a week later on April 18.

With the Boston Marathon scheduled for tomorrow, I thought I'd post a few thoughts and photos from my experience with the marathon. In 2007, I ran it for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and in memory of many friends and family who are/were affected by cancer. I raised about $13,000 as one of 500 Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge runners. My friends Bill Parady and John Clidas joined me and also ran the marathon. Bill was my running photo journalist and entire support team. The total experience was very emotional and moving but we also had a blast sharing a hotel room, attending the star-studded expo, attending Dana-Farber functions, and experiencing the wonders of Boston and the nor-easter that threatened to cancel the marathon. My Boston adventure was a very special one, one never to be forgotten. I hope to build on those memories the next time I run it...when, I don't know but it will happen!

1 comment:

Bill said...

Good memories and a remarkable fund raiser. You da man, Wayne!