Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre village of Vernazza ... Italy's Fiat-free riviera. Our home base was in the village of Monterosso, seen along the coast in the distance.

Monday, March 30, 2009

A Note from Marian











It has been awhile since I have written on Wayne's blog and that is just as well. Today is a bittersweet day in this whole saga of Wayne's post retirement events (and I include my sweet dog, Bailey). Backing up a bit, last October 1 I started a 3 week stay at home vacation which was heaven. Then when I "returned" to work, I was asked to stay home and work on some projects. "Would that be okay?" they asked. It was an answer to a prayer I hadn't even prayed! It was a gift and a blessing from God who knows what I want and need more than I do. Anyway, I enjoyed 5 months working from home but Wayne wasn't always exactly thrilled about it. He thought they could easily strike the line item on the budget that was me. Well they didn't and then he retired and well, you know what happened after that. It was such a blessing be able to work from home and be here to do the things Wayne couldn't do and for his healing and all that stuff. (I also had help, and you know who you are!!) But 2 weeks ago, when my sweet friend and co worker, Casey, gave birth 2 months early (all is good there!), I had to come in and resume her duties which used to be my old duties...(it's all a very complicated situation) I was sad to give up such a good thing but knew I couldn't complain. So I have been adjusting to being back in the office and it has been good. I have a great boss and we have new management and I am so much happier there. But enough about me!!! (this is what I hate about blogs...) What I am getting to is that today marks the first day of Wayne going back to work--real work...I am kind of bummed about it because he finally got to feel a little retired the last couple of weeks and now he has to work. Not that it is a bad thing because we are grateful for the privelege of working, but there were some goals and now they will just take longer. The whole time he was off he felt like he was on sick time. He is actually doing fine considering he isn't in Europe. There is enough other fun stuff to keep him occupied. Not that it compares, mind you, but Wayne's life is hardly boring. For instance, worrying about ash getting into the house for a day and a half was a project for him to consume himself with (he is a real neat nick for those of you who don't know but don't get me started on that). Hannah even said, "If dad wasn't here, you'd be letting ash get all over the house." I don't know how I earned such a bad rap. Just because I live with the King of Clean doesn't make me a slob. But I know and accept I pale in comparison. And so be it. I can live with that. So today Wayne begins half time which in addition to his rehab makes almost FT being out of the house M-Th. I have the day off today for Sewards Day and tomorrow poor Bailey (where all of this comes full circle from the first sentence) will be out in the cold for the first time in 6 months without someone home to spoil his little springer self!!
Below is a yesterday picture of our yard with the ash and today is the after picture with new snow. It looks all innocent as if nothing happened...yet I know not only is there ash underneath but also all the leaf piles that I couldn't pick up before the first snow. Last fall, while Wayne was off running his last marathon (for now) he left me home to contend with the end of autumn and the simulaneous beginning of winter in one afternoon. It was the first and only time I raked and shoveled in the same day.



1 comment:

Bill said...

Marian, Thanks for the posting. We love Wayne's posings, but miss your biting wit and zingers. The yard looks lovely with the snow. The cleanup can wait til Spring. Wait, do you guys even get a Spring?