Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre village of Vernazza ... Italy's Fiat-free riviera. Our home base was in the village of Monterosso, seen along the coast in the distance.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Late Wednesday

It is with caution that I report that it appears Wayne is stabilizing. I wish I could say for sure but I don't get a lot of thorough communication about details from the medical staff as they are so focused on working on him. They are very generous with letting me come in but I don't stay long. Wayne's color is much better today than yesterday. I saw his chest today with the bandages and it looks fine from what I can tell. He is still sleeping though the nurse said they think he might be trying to wake up as he is breathing "above the ventilator" meaning he isn't in the deep end where they want him and his BP rose once when I went in there. (It wouldn't be the first time I raised his blood pressure.) Thus, he might be hearing so therefore I have been talking to him. Telling him about the ice, wind, school closures and other mundane details. Most importantly, I am telling him that he looks good and he is doing exactly what he should be doing. Since Wayne follows directions very well (not from me) I want him to know that right now he is following directions just doing what is doing. Three friends stopped by to visit briefly with him and did the same thing. But generally, visitation shouldn't pick up quite yet. He is receiving a morphine drip because they suspect even at his level of consciousness, he could be feeling the pain. I don't have any real details about the fluid problem he had though his hands and fingers are quite swollen. Whatever bleeding occurred last night has been corrected. I can't wait until he wakes up so I can see what he is like and how he might respond to where he is. He will be very clueless. If tonight and tomorrow go well he will move into a Progressive Care by Friday. He will not be home over the weekend as we once thought he might.

Thank you for all the prayers, support, calls, emails and messages. The support is tremendous and is much appreciated. Sorry if this is disjointed but it's all I can do for the moment. I hope to learn so much more tomorrow and we really begin the healing process with him being awake. Take care and God Bless.

4 comments:

Bill said...

Marion, Just wanted to let you know that his extended network of running buddies are following the updates. I know this must be extremely difficult time for you. We are all keeping a distant watch, not wanting to burden you any more than you are already. Your updates are greatly appreciated. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Unknown said...

Marian,
It's great that Wayne appears to be doing better today. I had hoped to visit Wayne while I'm in town for a few days, but that may not be the best idea. Here's to a full recovery for Wayne and lots of future marathons.

My thoughts are with you and Wayne.

Lenny

kate said...

Wayne, you have promises to keep and miles to go before you sleep. As you know I have been running the heart run for many years and expect to see you run in the mended hearts group this year! Love to you both, Kaitlyn Hayes

Unknown said...

Wayne,
I'm glad that Jerry and I got to see you today. Given what you have just experienced you looked good. I expect you to be hitting the trails soon.

Lenny