Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre village of Vernazza ... Italy's Fiat-free riviera. Our home base was in the village of Monterosso, seen along the coast in the distance.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Update about Wayne

Hi, this is Marian with an update about Wayne....Surgery took over 8 hours instead of the predicted 4-5. So the afternoon got long. Turns out he did have to have his aortic valve replaced (by a pig valve) because his had a lot of calcium built up and there was some calcification on areas beneath the heart that had to be cleared away. Also, his heart and the aorta and other arteries near the heart were "tougher" than normal so it made for a longer surgery. The doctor looked more fresh than I did which was humbling. Unbelievable how calm and fresh he looked and he hadn't eaten for 9 hours. Anyway, there was a need for outside blood which was also not anticipated but of course they were prepared. I went in at 5pm to see him and though they prepared me I was still shocked and it was all I could do not to just bawl. But I know he is in good hands. I cried last night when he shaved off his mustache because I have never seen him without one but now I am glad he did because of how he is taped up to hold all the tubes in place. Dr Misbach will not let him come out of his sleep until tomorrow morning and he discourages visitors until he is out of ICU possibly on Thursday. I will be going back in the morning and they have my numbers in case they need to call. Thank you to all who have called, emailed and left messages at home. Your support is paramount and I apologize if I don't get back to all of you quickly. Hope this post helps. I am off to go get Hannah and just sit back tonight. God is good and He is in control.

No comments: