Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre village of Vernazza ... Italy's Fiat-free riviera. Our home base was in the village of Monterosso, seen along the coast in the distance.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Marathon Chair Sitting

Wayne has accomplished another marathon and a first. He sat in a chair for 12 straight hours and was so calm about it. Also very sweet and patient. (I will be buying a case of morphine to bring home.) Imagine Wayne being sweet and patient sitting in a chair and doing nothing. Yet for him today, he did wonders. He had his first food since Monday's dinner. He can eat normal food and did so at 3 meals. Not a lot but certainly he had an appetite and he liked it. I fed him and he didn't mind. Tomorrow he can feed himself. He stood up twice. Both times it took 2 people and 5 minutes to get him from sitting to standing. Once he stood he had to catch his breath and just wait. Then he had to lift each foot back and forth and march in place. After doing that he was very taxed. Taking bites made him tired. Visiting made him tired so I had to cut off visitors and turn people away and for this we are sorry. We will not have visitors tomorrow either per Wayne. We need a whole day of him getting stronger without worrying about who is coming and making that decision. We certainly appreciate it and tomorrow may be a big day if we move to the "regular" room. He does like cards so please send cards if you want. Anyway, he did his breathing exercises much better today and now can do them all at once. He has to keep telling himself to inhale instead of exhale to get the device to work. He also still has his strange voice due to the damaged vocal cords but this will heal. He got to speak to his sister Carol on the phone tonight too for a few.

Dr Misbach said he is doing great and told him to move his feet as much as possible. He has much better memory today though he doesn't remember yesterday at all. He just remembered what was going on today. I asked him if he remembered his first words yesterday and he said no. So I reminded him and he said, I said that? and then I told him some other things he said and he laughed. Then I told him I put it in the blog and he said, "oh geez". Even his mother knows now. So overall, big strides. I left before they put him back in the bed. That is a 3 person, 15 minute adventure and they only have to move him 1 foot from the chair to the bed. The high winds continue to blow and branches and debris are everywhere with the ice that continues to slow us all down. Thank you to all for the prayers. They are being answered and you know, God will do things His way and He is showing me many things about myself and about processes. I thank Him for the technology that is keeping Wayne alive and well. I pray Wayne will let go and allow sleep tonight. He is nervous about it due to some dreams he is having. He promised he would try and do it tonight. Also, I could not be happier with the hospital and the services he is getting. This will be the best quarter (or so) million our insurance will spend in a long time. With fondess and complete gratefulness to all of you for your support, Marian

1 comment:

Redman said...

Marion,

I've checked your blog twice a day for updates and I'm super happy with ol Wayno's progress. Please extend our well wishes to him as I know a speedy recovery in in order. The prayers continue from Wyoming for your entire family. Don't let him start taking advantage of the situation if he lips off just slap him in the back. Redman