Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre village of Vernazza ... Italy's Fiat-free riviera. Our home base was in the village of Monterosso, seen along the coast in the distance.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Two steps forward, one step back

Yesterday Wayne had a great first day of recovery at home. He took some calls, had a couple visitors, got a shower, did some walking, ate well, went through his mail, read all his cards and organized all his prescriptions. Just like any retired man, right? Well, I thought it would be safe for me to go out with some friends of mine last night for dinner so I got a "sitter" to hang out with Wayne and said I would be back soon. And then I forgot my cell phone. When I arrived home I found out Wayne was in the ER at Providence. At 7 pm while sitting at the table after eating dinner, some rust colored ooze (more medical jargon) started coming out of his side incision and dobbing it didn't help so he made a call to another friend who lives nearby to take him to the ER. The 'sitter' then became a sitter for Hannah and for that we are so grateful since I was unreachable. They spent a little over 4 hours there. If you remember he had a second surgery. At that surgery they had to drain some fluids from the right lung or cavity by the lung which created another incision site and stitches. It was from that hole that things oozed. No stitches came undone but the fluid came through the little hole anyway. While at the ER the doctors there said Dr Misbach was in the hospital so he came right away. He said the fluid had to be drained so they got a radiologist to complete those procedures which included a catheter and a new entry site in the back. He also has fluid buildup on the other side but are leaving alone for now for the "body to absorb". There is some minor infection at the original site for which I have to get a prescription today and he has to have a chest xray on Monday while keeping bandages on his side for the time until then. He was in pain most of the night and I couldn't do anything to help it other than give him Percocet which I did when it was legal. I let him squeeze my arm or leg but ended up giving him the heart dog. That dog has had many roles. And here, we thought his big chest wound would be painful and it hasn't been. He was free from pain all day yesterday which when you think about it, is amazing. For now there are some breathing problems but we'll work on that. Please keep him in your prayers, Marian

No comments: